2012 Roundup (a.k.a What The Hell Was I Doing This Past Year?)

Well, Happy New Year y'all.

It's time for the roundup. (I say that like I do the bloody thing every year when this is the first time I ever bothered)

This is a me-vs-me Q&A round, complete with random GIFS ( All of them Supernatural, because for me this is the year of Supernatural, YO) and craziness, because it is 2 A.M in the morning here and I'm not feeling very verbose.

1) Things that happened to you in 2012?

- Winning a Writing Contest (an important one) for the first time in my life. It finally pushed me into the take-your-writing-seriously camp.

- Learning that sometimes- sometimes- the time gap between having an idea and putting actual words onto paper can be very, VERY long. 

That City book I'm writing with the boy with the wings and the things with wheels and the sparkly shiny buildings? Yeah, I'm still planning it. It's been a YEAR, people, and I'm still PLANNING it. 

See? Patience. I have.


Patience. More than even Castiel.

- Finding the Supernatural fandom. 

The show is only half of it, the fandom makes this the holy-mother-of-all-shows. It's like the fangirl in me has been let loose and I suddenly understand this whole other world, where random phrases like "ganked' and "nerd angels" and "holy blonde cheerleader batman" and "pig in a poke" all warrant long-winded discussions about angels in trenchcoats, brothers in arms and a 1967 Chevy Impala called Baby that saved the world. (Plus I found my critique partner from the fandom, Hi Kristin!)

- Finding THIS WHOLE NEW WORLD OF INCREDIBLE MUSIC. Suddenly, at the end of 2012 I feel so

ENLIGHTENED

because I have discovered The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam and Oasis and America and even Tori Amos and most of my new writing music is by Rise Against and The Arcade Fire and Credence Clearwater Revival and Blondie and Styx and Asia and Survivor and oh, oh Carry on My Wayward Son by Kansas....(And even Jefferson Airplane!)!

AND THEY WERE ALWAYS THERE BUT I WAS SO BLIND, SO BLIND!

And I feel awesome.

- BOOKS!
(Oh! That reminds me- this is also the year I said bye-bye paperbacks, hullo e-reader! Got an iPad and I've been responsibly trying to reduce my carbon footprint since.)

HOLLY BLACK. LAINI TAYLOR. ANGELA CARTER. ANDREW SMITH. MELINA MARCHETTA. MARGO LANAGAN. DEAN KOONTZ. UMBERTO ECO. ERIN MORGENSTERN. Sarah Rees Brennan. (Oh, oh, Susan Ee! ANGELFALL!)

2012 was frankly not a great year for me when it came to books. TV shows, I lucked out. Books, not so much. Midway through 2012, I realized all my favorite want-to-read-this-right-now picks on Goodreads were coming out only in 2013 and then I was like:



2) What about the people in your life?

- Two births in the family
- Two deaths among beloved teachers.
- Several marriages.
- Lots of new virtual friends.
- Not very many new real life friends.
- Two celebrity crushes (oh, just bloody guess who)
- Two book-characters in my own book who make me want to hug them and tell them "it'll be okay, it'll be okay" (Mama's lying)
- One incredible trip with friends.
- So many incredible moments with family.
- Greater responsibility.
- Two people- best-friends- who made me realize so many times this year that I'm lucky to have found them. Every girl should have friends like them.

3) What were your resolutions at the beginning of 2012?

- Write a BOOK. Write A book. WRITE a book.

4) Resolutions kept?

- Kinda. Sorta. I have a plan. (No, I do)

5) What was the worst decision you made this year?

- Honestly? Reading Fifty Shades of Grey. 

Yeah, that was a train wreck.


6) How are you a better person at the end of this year?
- I'm not. I've become even more of a horrible person to all my characters.

7) What was the most AMAZING, STUPENDOUS, FABULOUS thing that happened to you this year?

- 10 day vacation with friends. So much insight, so many places, so many things at which to say "bitch, please"

8) What do you wish you'd done more?

- BAKING! I realized I'm really good at baking, so MORE BAKING. But, also:  More writing. More plotting. More hugging. More reading. More fangirling. More family outings. More engineering problems  studying  preparing for exams. More running on the treadmill. More exercise, period.

9) What was the scariest moment of this year?

- Being stuck in a train for ten hours with a riot raging outside.

10) What was your greatest literary discovery this year?

- Angela Carter.

11) What was your favorite movie?

- The Hunger Games. Midnight in Paris (wait, was that last year?) The Dark Knight Rises. Les Miz. The Hobbit.

12) Favorite manga?

- One Piece.

13) What do you wish you'd done less of?
- Losing my temper. Hating engineering. Drama. Trying to be too literary. 

14) What are your new year resolutions for 2013?

WRITE A BLOODY BOOK.
I have a plan.
I do.
Deep breath.
I plan to be doing this at the end of the year. (Holding a book and saying "Dude, yes", not pasting random gifs)



REREAD HARRY POTTER.

REWATCH HARRY POTTER.

REWATCH SUPERNATURAL.

MORE MUSIC. More music with THE BAND. More singing live on stage with the band that we might call Jaggery. Or Buggery. (That was completely random)

MORE YA BOOKS.

MORE BLOG POSTS.

LESS BLAH BLAH. (Wait, who am I kidding, I love my blah blah)

(Here's one last gif for everyone who loves blah blah)

Okay, so I love you all.

Now go have yourselves A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments

  1. Hey, there, girl! Oh, I really enjoyed reading this! You're so hilariously random. And witty. And very. VERY....YOU. Love it!! Because we sure need more people to be truly themselves, in the blogosphere, as well as in the "real" world!!

    LOVE your music choices, especially "Carry On, My Wayward Son". But oh, I also really love Zeppelin. And have you tripped out on "The Dark Side of the Moon" yet? Try it!! It'll become another favorite!!

    You know what one of my New Year's resolutions is? To visit "Wishful Thinking" more often. So I can get more of wonderful, random, you!!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Popular posts from this blog

Tiger's Curse by Couleen Houck: Review

Follow Friday

Bookshelves, Bookshelves, oh my!